Friday, March 15, 2013

Life After Cancer: Losing A Part of Yourself

I read a blog today that got me thinking even more about something. The blog was about losing a body part to cancer and accepting that fact. It was really interesting. But it got me thinking about a different loss.

What if you lose something that makes you feel like yourself?

What could that be? What would it be for you, the reader?

One of the hardest things I have had to deal with after having cancer was changing a lot of the things that I did before cancer. These are the things that I felt contributed to who I was/am. Now, how is this more important that a body part? For starters, losing a body part and losing a part of what makes you feel like yourself area two different things in my mind. Of course it is terrible losing a leg or a breast to cancer, I am not saying that this is easy and I really wish no one had to worry about losing something, but medicine has come a long way in being able to reconstruct some of the parts that can be lost. The only body part I lost from cancer was my ability to have children because of all the radiation and chemotherapy that I endured, as well as being put into early menopause at the age of 19. I am not exactly sure why this happened, but for some reason the doctors did not think about the consequences of a female not having any platelets in her body to help prevent her from bleeding to death when her monthly cycle comes around. Due to that oversight, and me not knowing that could have ever happened and thus never thought about it, the doctors did everything they could to stop the bleeding and as a preventative measure decided that menopause was a good alternative. I would have to agree, but with menopause comes a bunch of other things that a 19 year old gal should not have to worry about. Luckily for me I was able to do hormone replacement therapy for a while to help with some of the heat and cold flashes. At the time I was not really worried about my prospects of having kids because I never wanted any. However, your mind changes when you get older and then get married. Now I wish I could have children, but even if I was able to still conceive children my body would not be able to handle the stress that comes with being pregnant. So, I am rather glad that I can save that money that would have otherwise been spent buying tampons on something that is so much more fun to buy. However, for all my lady friends that come over I generally keep a box on hand just for you just in case.  ;)

So what was it that I lost that made me feel myself?

There are a few things that I have done since I was really young. Riding horses, hiking, playing soccer, and bike riding. You may think these are weird things to have lost due to cancer but for me these are the things that I love and still love today, I just cannot enjoy them like before.

For those who do not know me and have not read other parts of my blog, I had a stem cell transplant in 2005 for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. The transplant was a success, but it came with many complications. One of which was an attack from my new immune system on my heart and lungs leaving me with a very rare heart and lung disease called Pulmonary Veno-Occlusive Disease. This means that it is harder for my lungs to fill with oxygen and my heart has to work harder to pump oxygenated blood throughout my body. This makes any physical activity hard because I get short of breath easily. Because of that it is almost impossible for me to play soccer, the only sport I enjoy playing, and it is really hard for me to enjoy biking and hiking. Luckily I can still bike a little bit and hike small, semi flat areas, but I really enjoy long non-flat areas, and the same is with biking. It may be silly to miss these things and you may be thinking, well at least you can bike and hike a little bit, and you are right. But, these are things we did every day and all summer long while I was growing up so it is hard to let go of that (and I am not saying that this is harder than losing a leg or a breast or any other body part, this is just another take on losing something to cancer).  You would think after six years I would be over this and just accept that it is something that I just will not be able to do, but I cannot. I am hoping that at some point in time there will be an advancement in medicine that will make these things possible for me again. Is that too much to ask?

The other thing that I have not been able to do for several years now is ride horse. Apparently, after going through menopause your bone density decreases and makes your bones more brittle so they break easier. However, the amount of time between starting menopause and getting to the point where one's bones are weak enough to break easily was unknown. Thus, no one thought to put me on bone strengtheners to help prevent easy breaks. So, after my childhood horse passed away and I got on a new one who, for some reason, spoked at something unknown, I found out just how strong my bones were not. When my horse spoked and jumped I went about an inch up out of the saddle and when I hit the saddle again I broke my pubic bone, which caused a great deal of pain and caused the horse to spoke some more and I hit the saddle horn and broke another part of my pubic bone and then slide off the back side of her and onto the ground. Once I hit the ground I broke my elbow and another area of my pubic bone. Thus, ever since then no one, meaning my mom, will let me ride horse until my bones are strong enough and even then she is not sure she really wants to chance it. Riding horse was a connection that Mom and I had that I loved. Almost every weekend we would pack up the trailer and go camping and trail riding.

Now every summer when Mom packs up for a weekend or longer of trail riding I get very jealous and sad that I cannot go with her. As if losing my horse was not hard enough, I also lost being able to do my favorite thing in the world.

How do you get over giving up things like these that you spent your life doing before you had cancer? Does that feeling of loss ever go away? Should these things be a part of who I am? Am I crazy for letting them be me?

How would you feel if you were no longer able to do just one of your favorite things?

I may have the rest of my life to find something to fill the voids of these things I can no longer do and I am grateful for that, but I have yet to find anything to fill in the holes, yet. But, I am open to any new adventure that comes my way and thanks to the advancements done by research to treat cancer, I have that luxury at least.

Lotza Love!


  




3 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffany,

    I was just reading through the most recent post of your's and I must say you are brave and have a lot of courage within you .I always feel a sense of attachment and appreciation for people who have faced cancer boldly .This might be because I lost my dearest granny to Bone cancer almost 9years ago and i still cant find anything to fill the void she left.In her case though ,she was in her last stage when the doctors found it and couldnt go through a lot of chemotherapy because she was 72 at that time and I have seen my granny slip away day by day ,but I must say , she fought the pain courageously and embraced death happily beacuse she didnt have a choice and she had to go and she knew it.

    In your case Tiffany,God is with u and would want you to celebrate the life he gave you in the best possible way . I understand its very difficult to let a part of you go, but change is everything and changing with time will make the whole journey of life happy .I believe the best thing about challenges and change is, you get a chance to know yourself better ,your strengths,weakness,hidden qualities and many more .Life becomes adventurous if you can embrace change and evolve , rediscover,reinvent a different "you" in you with passing time , which might have stayed hidden within you if the change wouldnt have happen.For instance ,you started writing this blog which says the story of your fight with cancer ,not only are you on a path of self discovery but also helping those who are fighting this dreaded disease.You can connect to so many people through this blog and share your happiness and sorrow.
    You should be proud of yourself and empower others who need help .Maybe thats what God wants you to do .
    These are just my thoughts.Hope you find your answer in this .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your comment. Thank you.

      It actually made me thing about a follow up post that I can do, which I love.

      Delete
    2. Also, I am really sorry about the loss of your granny. That is really hard. I still have both my grandmas but lost both of my grandpas in the same summer from cancer. It has been hard not having them around and I think that is a hole that cannot be filled. I don't think that time heals all, but I do think that within time it gets a little easier to remember them without it hurting so much.

      Delete