Friday, August 29, 2014

Birthdays Are A Blessing

Some people freak out when they reach a certain age, more specifically for this post I am talking about turning 30.  I always wondered why.  Maybe they break down because they are not at the point in their life or they do not see themselves where they wanted to be when they turn a certain age.  I can not help but be reminded of the Friends episode when Rachael turns 30 and freaks out about it and starts thinking about where she wanted to be by the time she turned 30 and realizes that everything was going by quickly, or when Phoebe realized that she lost a whole year of her life because she thought her birth date was different than what she knew and she had not completed her list of things to do before turning 30.

As I am quickly approaching this age mark, August 29th (today, eek), I am not worried at all, nor do I worry that I am not at the point in my life in which I wanted to be by the time I turned 30.  

I have done a lot with my life before now and I have had a lot happen as well.  The one thing I think of right now is that reaching 30 is a blessing.

At the age of 19 I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) and during treatment I almost died multiple times.  It was scary and all I could think was that I was too young for this and there is so much more I want and need to do in and with my life.  My other thought was that I could not leave my family like this.  So, I fought hard every day and night.  I made it through several more difficult times and was in remission.

Slowly, I started getting my life together and was enjoying it once more and appreciating all of those small things that mostly go unnoticed.  I decided to travel abroad and as much as I could, carpe diem, so to speak.

However, after signing up and making my deposit to travel to Morocco to ride camels in the Sahara Dessert and explore the world, I found out that my leukemia relapsed.

I was angry.  Mostly because I knew that the relapse meant more intense chemo and a bone marrow transplant, which were still rather new at that time.  Also, I knew that finding a marrow match was extremely difficult because of all the markers they had to match for it to be successful.  At this point I was unaware of stem cell transplants and how they worked, etc.  What I knew was that the fight was going to be longer and more difficult than the previous.

This round of treatment was even more dangerous because every cell has to be killed, all the good and the bad, more so than with my first instance.  I needed full body radiation to help kill all the marrow in my bones so that the new marrow, or in my case stem cells, could be injected to create a whole new marrow production, so new that it can and will change your blood type to which ever donor’s cell blood type happened to be.

This was dangerous and scary because without platelets there is no way to stop the bleeding if it were to happen, which did happen the first time going through treatment and was one reason I almost died that first time.  Also, without and immune system there is no way to fight off an infection, which also almost killed me the first time around as well.  But this time was even more intense and dangerous since I would have even less of an immune system, even less platelets, less blood cells.

I made it through the second time after fighting death several more times and being diagnosed with severe osteoporosis and a very rare, and when I say rare I mean rare, as in at that time only 5 people in the world having the same diagnosis/disease.  Pulmonary Veno-Occlusive Disease (PVOD), which does not have a very cheery prognosis.  Most of the people diagnosed with PVOD, or rather all since it was such a small number, only lived up to 5 years after diagnosis.  This disease, if you could not tell by the name, affects the heart and lungs and makes the heart work harder to pump blood through a person’s body and reduce the amount of oxygen received in lunges and other organs.  It is progressive disease causing harm to organs over the years, which is why survival rate is low.

Considering all I have been through medically, and everything I have done since, graduating with an undergraduate degree in Psychology and Human Services and receiving a minor in French, as well as studying abroad in both France and Morocco, also visiting Canada a few times and London, and traveling within the U.S. to Seattle, Florida, New York, Illinois, Nebraska, and all the states between Minnesota and Florida on an awesome road trip with 2 amazing friends to vacation on the ocean for 2 weeks; I really cannot complain about where I am in my life.

Thus, I feel achieved and hope that on my 30th birthday in a few days I will not freak out about my age.  I am sure that it will be like any other day and I will mostly be happy for just being alive 8 years after being diagnosed with a progressive disease that has only a 5-year life expectancy after diagnosis.


All this feels like reason enough to not be worried about turning 30, but I guess I will not know until the day comes.  I guess no one does, which is why they tend to freak on their day of birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment